Mosques Around the World: Al-Aqsa Mosque, Palestine
by Lamisa Khan in World on 8th December, 2017
The diversity of Islam can be seen in our beautiful architecture and places of worship around the world; this week we are looking at Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, Palestine.
Here are five facts about the Al Masjid Al Aqsa:
- Al Masjid Al Aqsa was the first qibla in Islam and has been a significant place of worship for the Prophets of Islam.
- The mosque was built after the Masjid al Haram in Mecca and covers 1/6th of the entire area of Old City of Jerusalem.
- It has the capacity to accommodate around 500,000 worshippers.
- It is the location that the Prophet (pbuh) was transported to during the journey of Israa and Miraaj.
- The dome of the Rock was built by the Umayyad Caliph Abdul Malik ibn Marwan; during the reign of the Ottoman Caliph Suleiman the Magnificent, the distinctive gold layer was added to the dome along with the Ottoman tiles.
May Allah SWT give us all the opportunity to visit this holy site InshaAllah.